Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I think I'm prejudiced.

Much as I hate to admit it, I am.

Yep, you heard me. I. Am. Prejudiced.

Now, prejudiced to whom and what in particular? Well, I'm biased against Ah Bengs. I always viewed them as ne'er-do-wells who didn't have any future at all.

Chatting with Daryl, changed my perception of things as well.

If you read his blog, the link's over on the left, under Interesting Places mind, you realize that he has a tattoo. He is also extremely dedicated to God and is a decent and caring person who actually speaks perfect English (I've read his essays. They're good. Believe me.)

At any rate, having tattoos, like his, immediately classifies him as Ah Beng in my books. However, the fact that he speaks accurate English, comes from a good family and is dedicated to God, does not stereotype him as an Ah Beng.

Did you know, that he is a pretty caring person? He cares about those tsunami orphans. Many people here either simply don't care about the tragedy. Why should we? We didn't get hit by it. Or even others when the donation drive was organized, under the pretext of donating clothes, used it as an excuse to get rid of old unwanted clothes so that they had more space in their closets and wardrobes for new clothes.

I suppose at the end of the day, the point I'm driving at is, to always keep an open mind. It galls me to even admit that I'm prejudiced, but as I hate bigots, I would rather not act like the very thing which I despise.

If you ever find me acting or behaving in a hypocritical way, tell me. I'll appreciate it. I despise hypocrites and don't want to behave like one.

But anyway, I'm getting off-topic here.

So boys and girls, do not judge a book by its cover. Who knows? That book might just be different from the others under its cover.

No comments: